Eastern Libyan forces hand El Sharara oilfield to oil guards

By REUTERS
February 19, 2019 23:23
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

 BENGHAZI, Libya, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Eastern Libyan forces handed over control of the El Sharara oilfield to an oil security force, officials said on Tuesday, in a bid to encourage state oil firm NOC to restart production that has been halted since December.

The field, which had been producing about 315,000 barrels per day (bpd), was closed after a group of state guards and tribesmen seized it, making financial and other demand. NOC declared force majeure, a waiver on its contracts.
NOC, based in Tripoli, in the west of Libya where the internationally recognised government is based, has said it will not reopen the field without a new security arrangement and once other conditions are met, such as ensuring its workers are safe.


Libyan forces loyal to a commander based in the east of the politically divided nation took control of the field last week, after holding negotiations with the state guards and tribesmen.


"We call on NOC to lift force majeure," Naji al-Maghrabi, the eastern-based commander of the state oil guards which were appointed to protect the field, said in a statement posted online.


A spokesman for the eastern military confirmed the handing over of the field to the oil force.


There was no immediate comment from NOC.


It was not immediately clear if handing over security to security guards under the control of an eastern-based commander would meet NOC's demands.


The eastern forces launched an offensive in mid-January to secure the southern oilfields, which include El Sharara.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2019
Iran VP: International coalition to protect Gulf will bring insecurity

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings