Egged bus company employees declare two-day strike

By
June 7, 2015 15:39

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Egged employees embarked on a two-day strike Sunday in protest of work conditions. The strike has stopped all some 200 lines servicing a slew of cities in the South, save for Beersheba, as well as several local lines in and around Jerusalem, Bnei Brak and Tel Aviv.

A statement by the union blamed management for foot-dragging in negotiations that have lasted six months, saying the only progress made had been an increase in salary that would come primarily from state sources.

"And what if the state (Transportation Ministry) will refuse? The deal will be canceled. The management expects us to abandon the future of 760 drivers for an uncovered check," the statement said. The union says it twice deferred strikes to give negotiations a chance.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2018
Congo confirms 33 Ebola cases in past week, of whom 24 died

By REUTERS