Egypt cleared to play World Cup qualifier in Cairo

By REUTERS
September 25, 2013 19:09

Egypt is to be allowed to play in Cairo when they host Ghana in their decisive World Cup qualifier on Nov. 19 after the government agreed a concession following restrictions imposed in the wake of last year's Port Said stadium disaster.

The match will be hosted at the Air Defense stadium in Cairo, the Egypt Football Association said on its website (www.efa.com.eg) on Wednesday.It said the concession had been granted by Egypt's sports minister Taher Abou Zeid after extensive discussions.

Restrictions on games have been in place since 74 people died in Port Said when spectators were crushed as panicked crowds tried to escape from the stadium after a post-match pitch invasion by supporters of Al Masry.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 15, 2019
Fire breaks out at Weizmann Institute, no injuries reported

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF

Cookie Settings