Egypt court sentences 21 to death for stadium disaster

By REUTERS
January 26, 2013 10:22

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - An Egyptian court sentenced to death on Saturday 21 people accused of involvement in the Port Said soccer stadium disaster in which 74 people were killed last year, the judge said.

The judge read out a list of 21 names who had been "referred to the Mufti", a phrase used to denote a death verdict as all such sentences must reviewed by the Egypt's top religious authority.

The court was ruling in the case of 73 people charged with involvement in the Feb. 1, 2012 disaster. The verdicts for others in the case will be announced in March 9.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Knesset approves 'Breaking the Silence Law' in third reading

By MAARIV ONLINE