BREAKING NEWS

Egypt extends state of emergency in North Sinai by three months

Egypt said on Saturday it had extended by three months a state of emergency imposed on parts of Northern Sinai in October after Islamist militants stepped up attacks in the peninsula bordering Israel, Gaza and the Suez Canal.
Insurgents have killed hundreds of soldiers and policemen in Sinai since mid-2013, lashing out after then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ousted Islamist President Mohamed Mursi following mass protests against his rule.Sisi went on to be elected president last year and says militancy poses an existential threat to Egypt, the most populous Arab country.
The decision, announced by Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab in a written decree on Saturday, will be implemented in Rafah, al-Arish, Sheikh Zuweid and surrounding areas starting on Sunday. It also extends a night-time curfew in place in the same areas.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use