CAIRO - Egypt has identified seven suspects, including one Egyptian, in the killing of 16 border guards last month that triggered the biggest security sweep along its frontier with Israel in decades, the interior minister said.
The attack on Aug. 5, the worst since Egypt's 1973 war with its Jewish neighbor, underlined how lax policing in the region has emboldened Islamist militants to step up attacks on Egyptian security forces and the Israeli border.
Lawlessness in Sinai deepened after the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak last year and his successor as president, Mohamed Morsy, has vowed to restore order.
"The security apparatus succeeded in identifying the perpetrators of the incident that killed Egyptian soldiers in Rafah," Interior Minister Ahmed Gamal El-Din told state-owned al-Akhbar.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>