Egyptian military: Two soldiers, 3 militants killed in Sinai battle

By REUTERS
December 20, 2013 18:00

The Egyptian army said two soldiers were killed in the Sinai Peninsula on Friday while they carried out a raid that also left three Al-Qaida-linked militants dead.

The army had launched the morning operation after receiving information that a wanted militant was hiding out in an area west of Rafah, in North Sinai.




The two soldiers, both conscripts, died when a gunbattle broke out after the troops came under fire, the army said in a statement. It said the operation was continuing and armed helicopters had been deployed.




Security sources said the militants involved in the gunbattle were members of Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, which means "Supporters of Jerusalem".




The group claimed responsibility for a September suicide bomb attack in Cairo on the interior minister. He survived unscathed.



Related Content

Breaking news
June 20, 2018
13 hamas rockets fired on Israel, Iron Done intercepted four

By JPOST.COM STAFF