Egyptian police officer killed in Cairo

November 18, 2013 01:04


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

CAIRO - An Egyptian police officer was shot dead in Cairo on Sunday by unknown assailants, the Interior Ministry said in a statement, three days after a three-month curfew and state of emergency were lifted.

Officer Mohamad Mabruk, in charge of following up on the Muslim Brotherhood in the Interior Ministry's National Security division, was shot dead on Sunday evening as he was leaving his house in the Nasr City district, state news agency MENA said.

Security sources could not say if the incident was a criminal or politically motivated act. The investigation is still ongoing to determine the perpetrators.

Violence rocked Egypt after the army, prompted by mass protests, deposed the country's first democratically elected Islamist president Mohamed Morsi on July 3, sparking the worst violence the country has seen in decades.

A state of emergency and curfew were imposed after security forces dispersed two pro-Morsi camps on Aug. 14, killing hundreds, and arresting thousands of his supporters after launching a crackdown campaign against Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood group.

The state of emergency and curfew were lifted on Nov. 14.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
BREAKING: Drive-by Shooting in Tel Aviv