Eight killed in unrelenting Cairo clashes

By REUTERS
December 17, 2011 10:45

CAIRO - Eight people have been killed as clashes between troops and protesters in central Cairo spilled over into a second day, Egyptian state television said on Saturday.

It also said that 303 people had been wounded in the unrest in the capital, whose center has turned into a smoke-filled battleground in some of the most violent clashes since a popular uprising ousted President Hosni Mubarak last February.

Egypt's Dar al-Iftah, the body that issues Islamic fatwas (edicts), said one of its senior officials, Emad Effat, was among the dead, state news agency MENA said.

Clashes around government offices and parliament raged on after nightfall on Friday, with protesters throwing petrol bombs and stones at soldiers who used batons and what witnesses said appeared to be electric cattle prods.

The violence has sharpened tensions between the ruling army and its opponents, and clouded a parliamentary vote set to bring Islamists, long repressed by Mubarak, to the verge of power.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 19, 2018
Turkish air strikes kill 26 militants in southeast Turkey, Iraq - army

By REUTERS