Evacuation of Syrian Homs rebels delayed

By REUTERS
March 25, 2017 16:19
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - The second phase of an evacuation of Syrian rebels in Homs as part of a deal to surrender the city's last insurgent pocket of al-Waer to the government has been delayed until Monday, a senior official and a war monitor said on Saturday.

Homs Province governor Talal Barazi was cited by city officials in a message to Reuters as saying the operation would continue on Monday after having earlier said it would go ahead as planned on Saturday.

The war monitor said the evacuation was being postponed because of the fighting that began on Tuesday in Hama province between rebels and the army.

The departure of a first group of rebels and their families from al-Waer began a week ago and the evacuation is expected to be one of the largest of its kind, opposition activists and the war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, have said.

Under the deal, as with others that have been previously agreed for besieged pockets, insurgents are able to leave with light weapons for rebel-held parts of northern Syria along with family members and other civilians who choose to depart.

Between 10,000-15,000 people were expected to leave Homs in weekly batches, the Observatory and opposition activists have said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Woman killed in hit and run near Havat Gilad outpost

By JPOST.COM STAFF