Explosion hits Turkish army convoy in Kurdish southeast, 8 hurt

By REUTERS
September 26, 2016 10:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - An explosion ripped through a bus carrying military personnel in Turkey's mainly Kurdish southeast on Monday, wounding eight soldiers, hospital and security sources said.

Suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants detonated an explosive device that had been planted in the road as the bus, which had civilian license plates, traveled by on a highway, security sources said.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the blast that occurred on a busy road linking the towns of Derik and Kiziltepe in Mardin province, which borders Syria. The PKK has previously said it was behind similar attacks on police and soldiers.

The autonomy-seeking PKK has waged a three-decade insurgency in southeast Turkey, home to most of the country's 15 million Kurds, and more than 40,000 people, mainly Kurds, have died.

The fight flared anew in July 2015 after a two-year ceasefire collapsed, and hundreds of rebels, security forces and civilians have died in the violence.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
China's Premier Li says willing to push bilateral ties with Malaysia

By REUTERS