Fetus shows signs of life after being declared dead

Fetus shows signs of lif

October 8, 2009 20:42


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A half-kilo fetus delivered in its mother's 22nd week of pregnancy because Assaf Harofe Medical Center doctors said it had no heartbeat was declared dead on Wednesday evening, but when the father came to take it for burial, it began to move and show other signs of life. The baby is now stable in the neonatal intensive care unit. It was the third such case in an Israeli hospital in the last 14 months; the others were at Western Galilee Government Hospital in Nahariya and the Italian Hospital in Nazareth; both incidents involved Arab families. In each case, the baby was born prematurely and declared dead. A 22-week-old fetus is usually considered too small and premature to survive. The family claimed the mother heard the fetus cry after it was born, but that the obstretrics staff told her it was dead. The "body" was put on a table in the delivery room for five hours and then taken to the refrigerated morgue. But on its way to burial, the baby moved in the box. The parents then asked to transfer the baby to another hospital. The Tzrifin hospital reported the unusual case to the Health Ministry and also launched its own investigation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 20, 2018
U.S., China and other countries agree to universal air encounter code