Four blasts heard in Yemen's main port city Hodeidah on first day of truce

By REUTERS
December 18, 2018 23:48
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



DUBAI, Dec 19 - Four blasts were heard in Yemen's main port city of Hodeidah late on Tuesday on the first day of a ceasefire agreed between the Iran-aligned Houthi movement and the Saudi-backed government at U.N.-led peace talks last week, residents said.

One resident told Reuters the blasts sounded like artillery shelling on the eastern and southern outskirts of the Red Sea port city, vital for food and aid supplies to Yemen. Other residents said they had heard similar explosions.



It was not immediately clear which side was responsible. Houthi-run al-Masirah TV accused Saudi-led coalition forces of breaking the truce. A coalition spokesman was not immediately available to confirm whether there was a resumption in fighting.



Fighting persisted before coming to a halt when the truce went into effect at midnight (2100 GMT) on Monday, but Hodeidah had been calm throughout the day on Tuesday.



The Houthi group and the government of Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi had agreed to cease fighting in the Houthi-held city and withdraw forces amid Western pressure to the end the nearly four-year conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people and left millions of Yemenis threatened by starvation.



The United Nations, which led the peace talks in Sweden, is trying to avert a full-scale assault on Hodeidah after the coalition launched an offensive this year to try to seize the seaport that handles the bulk of Yemen's commercial goods and aid supplies.

The Western-backed Sunni Muslim Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates intervened in the civil war in 2015 against the Houthis to restore Hadi's government, which was ousted from the capital Sanaa in 2014.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
February 17, 2019
Trump's choice for U.N. ambassador withdraws as nominee

By REUTERS