Four men in hospital after shooting at Muslim cemetery in Canada

By REUTERS
March 12, 2016 09:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Four men were taken to hospital with gunshot wounds after a shooting at a Muslim cemetery outside of Calgary on Friday, though police were quick to say it did not appear the victims were targeted because of their religion.

"We do not believe it's a hate crime at this time," said Cpl. Hal Turnbull, a spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Alberta, adding that officers were looking at various other possibilities, including the possibility it could be gang-related.

Turnbull said officers responded to reports of a shooting at the Muslim Cemetery in Cochrane, a bedroom community northwest of Calgary, just after 3:30pm MT (2230 GMT). By the time they arrived, all four victims had already been taken to hospital.

Local media reported there was a funeral earlier in the day at the cemetery, which serves Calgary's Muslim population, and a group had stayed on site after the service. That is when the shooting is believed to have occurred.

While police have not yet made any arrests in connection with the incident, they said there did not appear to be any immediate risk to the public.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 18, 2018
Jerusalem Post closed for Yom Kippur

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF