French PM says state of emergency enacted after Paris attacks to be prolonged

By REUTERS
January 22, 2016 14:16

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

LONDON - French Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Friday that a state of emergency declared after 130 people were killed in attacks in Paris in November would be prolonged as long as necessary, the BBC quoted him as saying.

Emergency measures that give authorities extra powers to assign house arrests and conduct raids without a judicial warrant had been due to expire on Feb. 26. Officials had said it was likely to be extended but Valls went a step further.

Asked how long he envisaged the state of emergency remaining, Valls said: "The time necessary ... As long as the threat is there, we must use all the means."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 17, 2018
Report: Saudi consul in Istanbul to be investigated over Khashoggi

By REUTERS