Germany extends Egypt travel alert to Red Sea resorts

By REUTERS
August 16, 2013 12:56

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BERLIN - Germany has extended its travel alert for Egypt to include the Red Sea tourist resorts, a spokesman for the foreign ministry said on Friday.

Previously Germany had excluded the Red Sea resorts popular with European tourists such as Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada from its travel alerts, though had recommended increased caution.

"We advise against travel to Egypt and advise urgently against travel to Cairo, upper Egypt and the Nile delta," the spokesman said.

"Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle urges German citizens to take this travel advice very seriously."

The alert is short of a full travel warning, however, which would entail tourists being evacuated.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Brexit minister to meet with EU negotiator in attempt to speed process

By REUTERS