Gunman slays guard at NYC federal building, then kills himself

August 22, 2015 03:38
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


NEW YORK - A gunman opened fire at a federal building in Lower Manhattan on Friday, fatally wounding a security guard before killing himself, officials said.

The suspect entered the building just after 5 p.m. (2100 GMT) and immediately shot the guard with a handgun, police said. The guard died from the gun shot.

He then walked further into the building toward an elevator when he encountered another employee, said James O'Neill, chief of department for the New York Police Department. The gunman then shot himself in the head.

A police official identified the gunman as Kevin Downing, a man in his late 60s from Fort Lee, New Jersey, according to media reports.

Police said the motive of the shooting was still unknown but that the investigation was in its earliest stages.

"At this point there is no indication of a nexus to terrorism," O'Neill said.

The guard, who police said was armed but unable to return fire, went into cardiac arrest after being shot and died en route to Lenox Hill Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

He worked for FJC Security Services Inc., a private company that has a contract with the building, which houses an immigration court and a US Veterans Health Administration services office.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 14, 2018
U.S. lawmakers expect votes on steps to crack down on Saudi Arabia