Head of UN Cast Lead probe vows to try and ensure report will be balanced

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 11, 2009 22:23

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The head of the UN fact-finding mission on Operation Cast Lead insists that he will do everything he can to ensure that the report will be balanced and fair. In an interview with Channel 1 aired on Saturday, former South African judge and human rights expert Richard Goldstone said he had first refused the UN's offer to head the mission, but eventually agreed after the UN Human Rights Council president promised that the probe would be balanced. He went on to say that the final report would relate to the capture of IDF soldier Gilad Schalit and his captors' refusal to reveal any information about his condition. In answer to the question of why there was no UN probe into years of rocket attack on southern Israel, Goldstone said that the issue had been raised by non-governmental organizations, but that Israel itself had never asked the Security Council for such an investigation. He said he had tried to convince Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to allow official Israeli cooperation with the UN mission, but that his requests had fallen on deaf ears. The final UN report will be published at the end of September.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Woman killed in hit and run near Havat Gilad outpost

By JPOST.COM STAFF