Hezbollah criticizes Saudi Arabia, sees new chapter of struggle in Lebanon

By REUTERS
March 1, 2016 22:10

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - Hezbollah said on Tuesday that Lebanon had been pushed into a new phase of political conflict by Saudi Arabia since its decision to halt an aid package to the Lebanese army, but the country was not on the brink of civil war.

"It is clear that since ... the announcement to halt grants and other Saudi measures we have entered a new phase of political and media struggle which Saudi Arabia has escalated," Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said.

But he said it was in Lebanon's national interest for a national unity government grouping enemies and allies of Saudi Arabia to survive, and Iranian-backed Hezbollah did not intend to resign from the cabinet.

Speaking in a televised address, Nasrallah also said Saudi Arabia was seeking Sunni-Shi'ite strife in the Middle East, and accused it of directing car bomb attacks in Lebanon.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 23, 2018
Gunman dead after shooting 9, including girl, in Toronto

By REUTERS