High-profile lawyer Fisher ordered to remain in custody

April 30, 2015 18:33
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A high-profile Israeli attorney was ordered kept in custody by a Jerusalem court on Thursday, a day after he and a former high-ranking police officer were arrested by the Police Internal Investigations Department.

According to the Justice Ministry, attorney Ronel Fisher is suspected of receiving investigative information from the police commander and using it to extort money from his clients.A third suspect has also been arrested in the case whose identity, like that of the police officer, is concealed under a gag order.

On Thursday, the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court ordered Fisher and the other two suspects kept in custody for a further four days.

The recent charges are in addition to an investigation against Fisher that broke last July, when he was arrested on suspicion of brokering bribes between senior police officials and subjects of police investigations, including Ashdod Port union head Alon Hassan.

Both Hassan and the officers were clients of Fisher’s, and he is suspected of using his connections with both as a scheme to receive bribes.

The case was deadlocked for months as investigators were unable to access Fisher’s phone to search for evidence.

After managing to do so this week, they found evidence that built the new case against Fisher.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
May 23, 2019
Two US Navy ships sail through strategic Taiwan Strait