Insurgent rocket hits Afghan civilian bus, kills 2

Insurgent rocket hits Af

By
October 7, 2009 10:30

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An insurgent rocket ripped through a bus driving on a highway in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing two people aboard and wounding about 25, the government said. The militants appeared to have been aiming for a nearby police checkpoint, but the rocket fell short of the target and hit the busload of civilians instead, the Interior Ministry said. The deaths in Ghazni province's Qarabagh district are part of a growing civilian toll from roadside bombs, battles and suicide attacks this year. A UN report issued last month said August was the deadliest month of 2009 for civilians because of violence from the insurgency. A total of 1,500 civilians died in Afghanistan between January and August, up from 1,145 for the same period of 2008. About 68 percent of the deaths were due to the insurgents, the report said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
U.S. State Department thanks Germany for admitting former Nazi collaborator

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF