Iran releases 5 Kuwaitis held for illegal entry

Iran releases 5 Kuwaitis

October 14, 2009 12:49


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Five Kuwaitis, an Egyptian and a Qatari who were detained in Iran for illegal entry have been released, Kuwait's ambassador to Iran said Wednesday. Ambassador Majdi al-Thafiri said the men would be arriving home by sea Wednesday. His remarks were carried by the official Kuwait News Agency. Iran arrested the seven in its territorial waters on Saturday as they were fishing in two boats. Kuwait's Foreign Ministry said they "strayed" into Iranian waters and Teheran promised to release them after questioning. Iran-Kuwait ties soured during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war because of Kuwait's support for Baghdad. But they later improved, especially after Iran's neutral stand during the 1991 Gulf War that ended Iraq's brief occupation of this small oil-rich state.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
IDF Chief of Staff toured site of killed soldier