Iraqi court sentences 24 to death over Speicher killings

By REUTERS
July 8, 2015 14:01

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BAGHDAD - An Iraqi court sentenced 24 people to death on Wednesday over the killing of hundreds of soldiers last year at a former U.S. base near Tikrit during an offensive by Islamic State militants, an official said.

Abdul-Sattar al-Birqdar, spokesman for Iraq's Supreme Judicial Council, said four others were acquitted.

More than 600 suspects wanted in connection with the killings at Camp Speicher, which became a symbol of Islamic State brutality in Iraq, were still at large, Birqdar said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Netanyahu: Security of south is exactly the same as rest of Israel

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF