Islamic State claims responsibility for attack on Bangladesh Shi'ite shrine; one dead

By REUTERS
November 27, 2015 11:48

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack on a Shi'ite Muslim mosque in Bangladesh on Thursday, killing one person and wounding three as they prayed, the second attack on the country's tiny Shia Muslim community in a month.

Witnesses said three young men stormed into the mosque in northwestern Bogra district and shot at worshippers indiscriminately.

"The attackers entered the mosque and opened fire on the devotees after locking the main gate and then fled immediately after the shooting," police official Ahsan Habib said.

Two people from two nearby villages had been picked up for questioning about the attack, another police officer Arifur Rahman said.

SITE monitoring service said that Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack, just as it did for the previous bombing on the biggest Shi'ite shrine in the country.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 25, 2018
Turkey says to take every initiative to protect firms from U.S. sanctions

By REUTERS