Italian officials arrest 3 on terror charges

By REUTERS
March 25, 2015 11:42

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

MILAN - Italian magistrates have ordered the arrest of two Albanians and an Italian on suspicion of terrorism-related offenses and are searching several addresses in northern Italy, police said on Wednesday.

The two Albanians, a man living in Albania and his nephew in the region around Turin, are suspected of recruiting people for terrorism, while the third man, an 20-year-old Italian of Moroccan origin, is suspected of encouraging terrorism over the Internet, a police statement said.

The searches in Lombardy, Piemonte and Tuscany were focused on suspected sympathizers of Islamist militant groups and police and anti-terrorism officers were also working in the region around Tirana in Albania, it added.

Like other European countries, Italy has stepped up surveillance of individuals suspected of supporting Islamist State militants in Syria and Iraq after indications that a number of Italians had travelled to the region to fight.

In January, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said 59 Islamist fighters with some connection to Italy had been identified. Western countries fear radicalized nationals will return to launch attacks at home.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 18, 2018
U.N. chief suggests options for improved Palestinian protection

By REUTERS