Italian police see no specific target of petrol bomb in Rome

By REUTERS
May 12, 2017 14:31
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ROME - Italian police were investigating the causes of explosions in central Rome on Friday which are not thought to have had a specific target, a senior official said. Nobody was injured in the blasts.

A rudimentary petrol bomb damaged a car when it produced two explosions in the car park of a post office near the ancient Circus Maximus racetrack, police chief Massimo Improta said."We do not believe there was a plan to strike anyone in particular with the device, it is definitely an act of protest," Improta told SkyTG television, adding sniffer dogs had been deployed and the situation was now under control.

Forensic police at the scene found the remains of what appeared to be a plastic bottle which could have contained at most one liter of petrol, and a kitchen timer, Improta added.

"The explosion could have struck without causing excessive damage," he said. He declined to comment when asked by a reporter whether anarchist activists could be behind the attack, which took place across the street from a fire station.

Witness Giulia Scalondro, who works in a nearby cafe, said she heard one explosion followed by a stronger one.

"We were frightened and ran out of the cafe. We saw high flames and a thick dark cloud," Scalondro said.

Italy is hosting annual summits of the Group of Seven industrialized nations, culminating with a leaders' meeting in Sicily at the end of May. The national security alert scale is already set at 2, the highest possible in the absence of an ongoing attack.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
July 21, 2019
Kuwait calls for restraint after Iran seized British tanker

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings