Japan gov't seeks reduced power use to avoid blackouts

By REUTERS
April 8, 2011 06:45

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

TOKYO - Japan's government is seeking reduced power consumption by both companies and households to avoid blackouts after power plants were knocked out by last month's earthquake and tsunami, Trade Minister Banri Kaieda said on Friday.

In principle, the two utilities most affected, Tokyo Electric Power Co and Tohoku Electric Power Co , will not conduct rolling blackouts, he said.

The government wants major users reliant on the two utilities to cut power consumption by 25 percent in the peak summer demand season, the ministry said.

Small industrial users are being asked to use 20 percent less power and households 15-20 percent less.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
Turkey puts fiancee of slain journalist Khashoggi under 24-hour protection

By REUTERS