J'lem man stabbed to death after argument with Palestinian

August 30, 2009 21:43
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Less than two weeks after a woman was murdered by her tenant in the capital's Armon Hanetziv neighborhood, a 50-year-old Jewish man was stabbed to death inside of a hostel in Jerusalem's Kerem Avraham neighborhood near Geula on Sunday night, after an apparent argument with a young Palestinian from the West Bank, police said. The perpetrator, who police had identified as a 23-year-old man, fled the scene after the attack, in which he stabbed the man multiple times. A Magen David Adom team that arrived at the scene attempted to resuscitate the man, who was in critical condition, but he succumbed to his wounds and was pronounced dead shortly thereafter. Police said the two men had been arguing since the morning, and therefore had begun investigating the incident as a criminal case. At press time, a large police force was still deployed in the area and continuing the search for the suspect. While the scene of the attack is near the area where recent haredi protests have become a weekly occurrence, often resulting in violence, the neighborhood as a whole is quiet and homicides are extremely rare. The attack also came on the heels of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's statements Sunday that he was "not willing to accept any kind of terrorism," and that he considered violence and bullying to be a sort of internal terrorism. In a joint interview with Army Radio and Israel Radio earlier Sunday, during a special day of broadcasts dedicated to battling violence, the prime minister said his government would follow a policy of "zero tolerance to violence, both verbal and physical," and vowed to change the current situation. Jpost.com staff contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 18, 2018
Report: Police to announce findings in case 4000 regardless of elections