Kazakhstan guard base attackers heard 'holy war' broadcast from Syria

By REUTERS
June 14, 2016 10:56

ASTANA - Gunmen who attacked a national guard base in Kazakhstan last week listened to a broadcast from Syria beforehand that urged them to wage holy war, the country's interior minister said on Tuesday.

Five civilians and three servicemen died in the June 5 attack in the city of Aktobe, the deadliest in Kazakhstan since it became independent in 1991. Security forces killed 18 gunmen, some in a subsequent manhunt.

Kalmukhanbet Kasymov said the suspects had some time earlier listened to an audio address from "a so-called imam", probably from Syria, who called for "jihad", or a war against unbelievers.

The minister provided no further details and did not specify if he was referring to territory held by Islamic State.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 23, 2018
Eliad Shraga: Sara Netanyahu is not mentally fit to stand trial

By JPOST.COM STAFF