Kenya station attacker was rogue officer, not Islamist militant -police

By REUTERS
July 15, 2016 10:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

NAIROBI - A rogue officer who "went berserk" was responsible for an attack on a police station in western Kenya on Thursday in which seven people died, a police spokesman said.

Police had previously blamed the attack on a suspected recruiter for Somali militant group al Shabaab, who they said grabbed a gun from a guard while under arrest.

"The gunman ... turned out to be a local police officer who for yet unknown reasons, went berserk and grabbed a firearm," spokesman George Kinoti said in a statement late on Thursday.

The officer shot and killed six policemen before taking prisoners hostage at Kapenguria police station, officials said.

He was later shot dead by an elite police squad flown in from Nairobi. Local newspapers said a seventh officer, a member of the rescue team, was also killed.

Kinoti said police had opened an inquiry into the incident.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 19, 2018
Four story building used by terrorist family to be destroyed

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF