Lebanese army says Syria rebels did not kill Assad supporter

By REUTERS
July 19, 2013 12:55

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - The killing of a well-known supporter of Syrian President Bashar Assad in Lebanon this week was the result of a marital dispute and not politically motivated as previously reported, a security source and the army said on Friday.

Mohammad Darra Jamo was a commentator who worked for Syrian state media and often appeared on Arab TV channels to defend Assad's fight against a two-year revolt seeking to topple him.

He was shot dead on Wednesday in the southern Lebanese town of Safarand and supporters of the Syrian opposition were immediately the top suspects.

The Lebanese army said the killers had been detained and their weapons seized, and evidence so far has implicated Jamo's wife, not Syrian rebels.

"It became clear from initial investigations that there are no political motives behind the attack," it said in a statement.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Lapid calls Orban's trip to Israel 'a disgrace'

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF