Libya gas exports to Italy halted after militias clash

By REUTERS
March 3, 2013 11:34

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

TRIPOLI - Gas exports to Italy from the Mellitah complex in northwestern Libya have been suspended since Saturday following clashes between militias in the area, an official at the National Oil Corporation (NOC) said.

"Gas exports have been completely halted," Mustafa Sunalla, an NOC deputy chairman said on Sunday.

The firefight was said to have begun after an argument escalated between local former rebel fighters in the area and guards at Mellitah, a security source said.

Italian oil and gas giant ENI which operates Mellitah in a joint venture with NOC, said gas flows from the field had been halted for security reasons and said Italy's industry ministry had been alerted.

Sunalla said NOC, the Libyan prime minister's office and defense ministry were holding round the clock meetings to try to resolve the situation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 20, 2018
Senior Chinese diplomat says warmly welcomes inter-Korean summit

By REUTERS, REUTERS