Libya identifies 50 involved in US attack - official says

By REUTERS
September 15, 2012 17:01

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

TRIPOLI - Libyan authorities have identified 50 people who were involved in the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi in which the ambassador and three other Americans were killed, a security official said on Saturday.

US ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three others died when gunmen attacked the consulate and a safe house refuge in the eastern city on Tuesday night. The attackers were part of a crowd blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.

So far four people have been arrested and are being questioned, Libyan officials have said.

"We know of 50 people who were involved in the attack, we have names and we know who they are, but there could be more," Abdel-Monem Al-Hurr, spokesman for Libya's Supreme Security Committee, said.

"Four have been arrested. Some of the others may have escaped via Benghazi airport, maybe to Egypt, but this not confirmed. We have given their names to all of the Libyan border entry points."

Related Content

Breaking news
July 22, 2018
U.S. launches campaign to erode support for Iran's leaders

By REUTERS