Malaysia deports 3 for involvement in group linked to failed Turkish coup

By REUTERS
May 12, 2017 10:17
2 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia has deported three Turkish men to Ankara over their involvement in a group linked to a U.S.-based cleric blamed by the Turkish government for an attempted coup last year, police said on Friday.

Authorities detained school principal Turgay Karaman, 43, businessman Ihsan Aslan, 39, and academic Ismet Ozcelik, 58, last week, saying they posed a threat to national security.

The detentions came amid concerns raised by rights groups that the men were being held in Malaysia due to pressure from Turkey. At the time, authorities did not say whether they were suspected of having ties to US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.

On Friday, Malaysian Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar said in a statement the men were deported the previous day on suspicion of being involved in FETO, a group of Gulen supporters that the Turkish government also calls the "Gulenist Terrorist Organisation."

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has accused Gulen of orchestrating last July's failed coup, a claim Gulen and his followers deny.

The Malaysian police investigation found that the three men had been involved in FETO activities and were listed as individuals wanted by Turkish authorities, Khalid said.

The Turkish government had also canceled their travel documents, he said.

"As such, their presence in Malaysia is invalid and their status declared as illegal immigrants," Khalid said.

He said police would continue to monitor any group or foreign militants that tried to use Malaysia as "a center for logistics, shelter, fund collection or operations base for launching an attack in the country or abroad."

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and the United Nations Human Rights Office for South East Asia had previously urged Malaysia not to deport the Turks over fears the men could face torture or an unfair trial in Turkey.

Ayse Karaman, the wife of Turgay Karaman, had also appealed to the Malaysian government for her husband to be deported to another country apart from Turkey but her appeal was rejected.

Turkish authorities have arrested 49,000 people in relation to the failed coup out of 150,000 investigated. About 145,000 civil servants, security personnel and academics have also been suspended or sacked as part of a related purge.

Turkey has also applied pressure on other countries that are home to institutions backed by Gulen, whose Hizmet movement runs some 2,000 educational establishments worldwide.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 14, 2018
UK PM May says Parliament attack shocking, terrorism threat remains severe

By REUTERS