Mass grave holding over 800 bodies is discovered in Iraq

By REUTERS
April 14, 2011 19:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

BAGHDAD - A mass grave holding the remains of over 800 bodies, many believed to be opponents of ousted leader Saddam Hussein, has been discovered in western Iraq, an Iraqi Human Rights Ministry spokesman said on Thursday.

Kamil Ameen said the grave, found in the desert of western Anbar province, Iraq's Sunni heartland, included remains of Kurds, Shi'ites, women and children and was one of the bigger mass graves unearthed in recent years.

"The grave consists [of people] from different sects. Initial reports indicated they were political opponents," Ameen told Reuters.

"The number [of bodies] so far is 822 but it could increase. Our technicians expect the number to reach 900."

Mass graves have been found regularly in Iraq since the 2003 US-led invasion that toppled Sunni dictator Saddam.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
Saudi foreign minister says Khashoggi killing was 'huge and grave mistake'

By REUTERS