Mass killer Breivik to sue Norway for 'inhuman treatment'

By REUTERS
March 15, 2016 09:28
2 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Mass killer Anders Behring Breivik goes to court on Tuesday to accuse the Norwegian state of inhuman treatment, in a case that is raising questions about how to deal with a man who killed 77 people in 2011.

The militant right winger is appearing in public for the first time since his 2012 trial. In that time, he has had just one visitor, his mother, who was allowed into prison and gave him a hug shortly before she died of cancer in 2013.

Breivik, 37, will argue that his isolation in Skien jail violates a ban on "inhuman and degrading treatment" under the European Convention on Human Rights.

"He wants contact with other people," his lawyer, Oeystein Storrvik, told reporters before the March 15-18 trial. The case will be heard in a converted gym at the grey, concrete Skien jail, south of Oslo, where Breivik is being held.

Oslo's office of the Attorney General says there is no case to answer, saying in pre-trial documents: "there is no evidence that the plaintiff has physical or mental problems as a result of prison conditions.”

The judge's verdict - there is no jury - will be issued in coming weeks. Breivik killed eight people with a bomb in Oslo on July 22, 2011, and gunned down 69 others on an island nearby, many of them teenagers. He is serving Norway's maximum sentence of 21 years, which can be extended.

In prison he has a three-room cell with a television and a computer but no Internet access. He is allowed out into a yard for exercise. He only meets guards and medical personnel - even Storrvik has to speak to him through glass.

Norwegian authorities note that in a manifesto about his anti-Muslim views, Breivik wrote that "prisons are considered an ideal arena for which to recruit for political purposes." And other inmates might attack him.

Storrvik said one sign of Breivik's suffering was inability to concentrate on university studies he began by correspondence course last year.

Storrvik might take the case to the European Court of Human Rights if he fails in Norwegian courts.

In 2014, the court sanctioned Turkey, for instance, for inhuman treatment of Abdullah Ocalan, founder of the Kurdistan Workers Party, by keeping him in isolation for a decade until 2009.

By contrast, in France, jailed guerrilla mastermind Carlos the Jackal lost a complaint of inhuman treatment in 2005. The court ruled he had access to family and lawyers, even though he was segregated from other prisoners.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 14, 2018
IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eizenkot holds evaluation meeting at Gaza Division

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF