Medical aid for 29,500 reaches besieged Syrians, no evacuations

By REUTERS
October 19, 2015 19:16
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

GENEVA - Emergency supplies for 29,500 people arrived in four besieged Syrian towns on Sunday under a local ceasefire agreement but no one was evacuated as the deal provided for, the United Nations and the International Committee of the Red Cross said on Monday.

Thirty-one trucks took the medical and humanitarian supplies to the Shi'ite Muslim towns of Kefraya and al-Foua, under rebel siege in Idlib province in northwest Syria, as well as to Madaya and Zabadani, where insurgents are holed up in a mostly government-held region near the Lebanese border.

The United Nations had put off the deliveries earlier this month due to intense fighting elsewhere in Syria's civil war.

But the arrival of the trucks, together with the fact that a ceasefire in the four areas is holding, offered a rare chance of success for foreign-brokered diplomacy in a conflict now in its fifth year, in which at least 250,000 have been killed.

The besieged areas have seen heavy combat and very little or no humanitarian assistance for the 40,000 people trapped there, the ICRC said in a statement.

"The original plan had envisaged a much larger humanitarian intervention from the ICRC and the SARC (Syrian Arab Red Crescent)," Marianne Gasser, the head of the ICRC in Syria who took part in the operation, said in the statement.

"Together with SARC, we remain ready to play our role as neutral humanitarian intermediaries for such missions."

In a separate statement, the United Nations said negotiations on the delivery of further humanitarian and medical supplies and on evacuating wounded people were continuing.

"The United Nations and partners now look forward to the implementation of the remaining points covered under the agreement including the urgent evacuation of the critically wounded," the statement said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
'Queen of Soul' Aretha Franklin dies at age 76

By REUTERS