Memorial for fallen Druse soldier vandalized over the weekend

February 12, 2017 11:16
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The memorial for a fallen Druse IDF soldier was vandalized by gunfire over the weekend in northern Israel.

A dozen bullet holes were found in the memorial for Sgt. Salah Tafesh, an IDF soldier who was killed in southern Lebanon in 1992, which stands between the northern Israeli villages of Beit Jan and Khorfeish.

His family has lodged a complaint with the police who have opened an investigation.

Family members said that they are having a difficult time digesting the vandalism, saying that they did not expect an act of vandalism against the memorial for their fallen relative, calling it “a crime of the utmost severity.”

Tafesh, who served as a combat medic, was killed near the southern Lebanese village of Houla on April 6, 1992, when his convoy was ambushed by Hezbollah terrorists with mortars, RPGs and gunfire. 

Despite heavy fire Tafesh did not leave the scene and began treating wounded soldiers, many with serious injuries. Tafesh was treating seriously wounded Lt. Col. (res.) Aviel Jarafi when he was shot in the head and instantly killed.

Tafesh’s story became a legend among combat medics and is told to soldiers during their training. Tafesh was posthumously promoted to sergeant and awarded a medal from the GOC Northern Command for his bravery.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
Report: Seven injured, two critically, in Gaza border clashes