MEXICO CITY — Mexican officials on Sunday said they have nabbed the alleged top hit man for an Acapulco drug gang suspected in the slayings of 22 people earlier this month.
The Public Safety Department said Jose Lozano was arrested along with six other suspected members of the Independent Cartel of Acapulco. The little-known gang has been claiming responsibility for killings in the area over the past five months.
The department said the 21-year-old alleged hit man was arrested Thursday and acknowledged participating in the killings of 22 people whose bodies were dumped at a shopping center. Fifteen had been decapitated.
A Sunday statement said the gang is also suspected in the September slayings of 20 mechanics who disappeared while vacationing in Acapulco.