Mexico says unhappy with Egypt's response to 2015 attack on tourists

By REUTERS
May 13, 2016 18:23
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Mexico said that it was not satisfied with the Egyptian government's response to an aerial bombing in Egypt last year in which eight Mexican tourists were killed.

The Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website on Thursday that it had sent a letter to the Egyptian embassy to express its "surprise and dissatisfaction" with the government's failure to thoroughly investigate the case, penalize the perpetrators and compensate victims.

Last September, an Egyptian army aircraft fired on a group parked for a barbecue near a tourist site, thinking they were militants. In addition to the eight Mexicans, four Egyptians were killed. Six Mexicans were wounded.

The ministry said that although media outlets had reported on negotiations with one of the victim's families, Mexico did not have any knowledge of that.

The Egyptian foreign ministry could not be reached for comment despite repeated attempts over Egypt's Friday weekend.

The New York Times reported earlier this week that the Egyptian Tourism Federation would compensate families of three Mexican victims and it was also negotiating with families of the other Mexican victims.

The federation is a union of local tourism chambers of commerce. It represents the tourism sector and is not officially part of the Egyptian government.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
IDF dispatched combat helicopters to stop five unidentified para-gliders

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF