Monitor: Insurgent attack on Syrian air base killed 56 soldiers

By REUTERS
September 10, 2015 12:43

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BEIRUT - Syrian insurgents killed 56 government soldiers during an assault that led to their capture of an air base in the northwest of the country, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said on Thursday.

An alliance of insurgents including al-Qaida's Syria wing Nusra Front seized the Abu al-Duhur military airport on Wednesday as Syrian troops withdrew from their last major stronghold in Idlib province.

The Observatory's director Rami Abdulrahman said the 56 soldiers were either killed in fighting or killed afterwards.

Dozens of soldiers were also reported missing and insurgents took around 40 others captive, he said, citing sources on the ground in Syria.

Asked about the report, a Syrian military official said the army was not commenting on the situation and reiterated a previous statement that the base had been evacuated on Wednesday.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
China cuts Air China's flight hours, launches safety review after incident

By REUTERS