Moroccan police arrest 50 after protest clashes

June 27, 2017 19:34
1 minute read.
Breaking news

Breaking news. (photo credit: JPOST STAFF)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

RABAT - Around 50 protesters were arrested following violent clashes with Moroccan police in the northern city of Al-Hoceima on Monday during the Eid al-Fitr holiday, a local rights activist said.

Since police in the North African country arrested Nasser Zefzafi, who organized protests against corruption and unemployment, on May 29, demonstrations have taken place on an almost daily basis and more than 100 activists have been detained by police. Dozens of others have been sentenced to varying prison terms.

According to MAP state news agency, 39 police were admitted to hospital after being injured by "a group of individuals" who threw stones at the officials on Monday night.

The ministry of justice did not respond to a request for details on the arrests.

On Monday, clashes erupted after a renewed call for the release of those detained and imprisoned.

According to Faisal Aussar, a member of the local branch of the Moroccan Human Rights Association, police and gendarmes blocked access to Al-Hoceima from multiple directions. He said around 50 people were detained after police fired tear gas and used batons to deal with the demonstrators.

"Even in the presence of women, police used truncheons and threw punches to disperse the protests," Aussar said.

Since October, demonstrators in Al-Hoceima have vented their frustration over economic and social problems in a kingdom where political protests used to be rare and where the government tries to present the country as a beacon of stability.

The so called "Hirak" or Peoples' movement was born after the death of fishmonger Mouhcine Fikri who was crushed inside a garbage truck trying to recover fish confiscated by police. His death became a symbol of corruption and official abuses.

Over the weekend, King Mohammed VI presided over a government council meeting where he expressed his "displeasure and concern" regarding the delay in promised development projects in the region, according to a statement on MAP.

Mohammed VI ordered the minister of interior and minister of finance to carry out investigations into the reason behind the project delays, the statement read. But there was no mention of a possible pardon for arrested protest leaders.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
China cuts Air China's flight hours, launches safety review after incident