New Zealand abandons attempts to contain swine flu

By
June 19, 2009 04:48

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

New Zealand reported 63 new cases of swine flu Friday and said officials have abandoned attempts to contain the virus in the face of widespread transmission in the community. Elsewhere in the region, Singapore reported 11 new cases, bringing its total to 77, but officials said all but two of the infections were contracted abroad. New Zealand's confirmed case tally rose to 216, but health authorities believe the number is much higher, probably above 1,000, due to widespread transmission within the community, deputy public health director Darren Hunt said. Virtually all the New Zealand cases were mild, with only one patient so far becoming critically ill. The 30-year-old woman, who also has other medical conditions, was hospitalized in Wellington. More serious cases were expected once the virus spreads wider within the community, Hunt said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 20, 2018
Report: One injured in stabbing attack south of Jerusalem

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF