No media coverage of returning US troop remains

By REUTERS
August 9, 2011 01:48

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said on Monday that news media will not be able to cover the return of the remains of 30 US troops killed when militants shot down their helicopter in Afghanistan over the weekend.

President Barack Obama's administration relaxed an 18-year Pentagon ban on media coverage of returning US war dead in February 2009, giving grieving families the choice of whether to allow cameras at the solemn arrival ceremony.

But the Pentagon said on Monday the catastrophic nature of the crash created a special situation, one in which families would be unable to give media permission to document the event because remains were so far unidentified.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
King of Morocco appoints new minister for economy and finance

By REUTERS