Officer who ordered Palestinian shot handed harsher indictment

July 21, 2009 22:18
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Lt.-Col. Omri Burbag, the IDF battalion commander who allegedly ordered a soldier to shoot a handcuffed and blindfolded Palestinian stone-thrower in Ni'ilin last summer, has been handed an adjusted indictment which now includes being charged with making threats. Initially, Judge Advocate General Brig.-Gen. Avihai Mandelblit had charged Burbag, commander of Armored Battalion 71, only with inappropriate military conduct, a relatively light charge. However, the latest charge is criminal, and can carry a sentence of up to three years in prison. The decision to change the indictment comes a number of weeks after the High Court of Justice ruled that the original charge sheet was too lenient. The shooting took place on July 7 last year on the outskirts of Ni'ilin, east of Modi'in Illit, where demonstrators have been holding daily protests against construction of the security barrier. In the incident, soldiers imposed a curfew and fired tear gas and stun grenades to disperse protesters. Burbag was caught on video leading the blindfolded and handcuffed Palestinian to a military jeep, where the soldier was then seen raising his weapon and discharging a shot. The soldier claimed that Burbag had ordered him to fire, but the officer initially told investigators that all he had told the soldier to do was 'shake his gun' to scare the detainee.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 19, 2018
Trump urges Turkey's Erdogan to free jailed U.S. pastor