(photo credit: JPOST STAFF)
MILAN - The operator of the Italian bridge that collapsed this week, killing at least 37 people, said on Wednesday it had carried out regular, sophisticated checks on the structure before the disaster and that these had provided reassuring results.
Autostrade per l'Italia, part of infrastructure group Atlantia, issued the statement after the government moved to strip the company of its concession and demanded its top managers resign following Tuesday's collapse.
Autostrade said the bridge maintenance program had been based on the results of its regular checks and had also been approved by the transport ministry.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>