Palestinians want FIFA to ban Israel after barring officials from soccer event

By REUTERS
August 16, 2013 12:35

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian sports supremo Jibril Rajoub has threatened to call for Israel's expulsion from world soccer's governing body after it denied a number of officials entry to the West Bank for a youth tournament on security grounds.

"At the next FIFA Congress, the Palestinian FA is planning to ask for Israel's expulsion in response to its violations against Palestinian sport," Rajoub said on Thursday before the planned start of an international youth tournament.

An Israeli security official who declined to be named confirmed to Reuters on Friday that some of the accompanying officials had been denied entry to the West Bank "on security grounds" but said he could not elaborate further.

"None of the players were barred, but a number of officials accompanying the teams were refused entry for security reasons," the official said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
U.S. targets Chinese and Russian firms with North Korea-related sanctions

By REUTERS