Paratrooper who was severely wounded in August attack awake and improving

September 19, 2015 19:59


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

An IDF Paratrooper who sustained critical injuries during a Palestinian vehicular attack on Route 60 in August has regained consciousness, and is set to begin a lengthy rehabilitation program.

St.-Sgt. Yuval Appel has opened his eyes in recent days, according to the IDF's Bemahane weekly magazine.

The IDF Spokesman's Unit added that doctors at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Medical Center in Jerusalem, where Appel is hospitalized, listed him as being in moderate condition from September 2 onwards. Before then, he was in critical condition.

The improvement in Appel's condition comes after doctors placed him on a ventilator and sedated the soldier for over a month following the terror attack near Shiloh Junction. A Palestinian driver rammed his vehicle into the soldiers, before being shot and seriously injured.

St.-Sgt. Yarin Ashkenazi, a fellow paratrooper, was also critically injured.

Doctors sedated Ashkenai and placed him on a ventilator following the attack. His condition improved within a few days, and he regained consciousness.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 15, 2018
Blast near educational center in Afghan capital