Pentagon chief says US keeping eye on North Korea's missile program

By REUTERS
February 4, 2016 06:01
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

US Defense Secretary Ash Carter said on Wednesday the US military was keeping a vigilant eye on North Korea's missile and nuclear programs, and was continually expanding its defenses against a possible missile attack by Pyongyang.

Carter said the United States was on track to expand the number of ground-based missile interceptors in Alaska and Hawaii to 44 from 30, and improve their quality, but no further interceptor expansion was planned for now.

Asked if Washington was looking to add more interceptors to those already planned, Carter told reporters: "At the moment, no. That calculus stands... The plan has not changed."

North Korea told UN agencies on Tuesday it plans to launch a satellite as early as next week, a move that could advance the country's long-range missile technology after its fourth nuclear test on Jan. 6.

News of the planned launch drew fresh US calls for tougher U.N. sanctions already under discussion in response to North Korea's nuclear test last month.

Carter said the United States remained concerned about North Korea's development of intercontinental ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons, and was investing heavily to continue to improve US defenses against a possible attack.

The defense secretary spoke with reporters after a visit to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar in California, where he vowed to increase funding for servicing aging aircraft and accelerate purchases of new planes to ensure higher readiness rates.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Russian, Syrian authorities set up centre for refugees returning to Syria

By REUTERS