Philippine troops kill 30 Muslim rebels, take camp

By
June 6, 2009 14:10

The Philippine military on Saturday said troops have seized a Muslim separatist rebel camp following three days of fighting that left 30 guerrillas dead. Lt. Col. Jonathan Ponce said soldiers overran the Moro Islamic Liberation Front camp Saturday in southern Maguindanao province's Guindulungan township. It housed 20 bunkers that could accommodate about 200 fighters, he said. The guerrillas were under one of three rebel commanders being targeted by the military for leading attacks that killed dozens of civilians last year after the Supreme Court rejected a proposed peace deal to end the decades-long rebellion.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2019
U.S., UK and Norway urge Sudan to meet deadline for transitional government

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings